Skip to main content

Review of Ecclesiastes

Everything is Meaningless

“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

Wisdom is Meaningless

16 I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;

the more knowledge, the more grief.

Pleasure is a Ghost

I said to myself, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.” But that also proved to be meaningless. 2 “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?” 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.

When I found pleasure, it escaped me, and my days were filled with the dust of the wind.

Beauty is Precious, Unattainable, Transient

Then I said to myself, “Come now, I will search for each thing which is beautiful and gaze upon it." And I amassed gold plates and jewels and looked upon them, and they were beautiful for only seconds. And I sought the most talented musicians and heard them play, and I was amused but for a moment.

And then I sought the fairest maidens and the handsomest youths, and they were beautiful. But in the shadow of their beauty I saw my own repulsiveness reflected. My face was wrinkled, and there was none who could restore my youth.

The handsomest youth and the fairest maiden will each suffer the curse of age. Beauty is precious to those with which it are blessed and grievous to those who are lacking. For all, it fades as quickly as it comes.

Toil is Meaningless

So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because none of them brought me pleasure.

Wisdom is Useless without Desire

Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing
and benefits those who see the sun.

Wisdom is a shelter
as money is a shelter,
but the advantage of knowledge is this:
Wisdom preserves those who have it.

Enjoy Youth Until Pleasure Escapes

You who are young, be happy while you are young,
and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth.
Follow the ways of your heart
and whatever your eyes see,
but know that for all these things
God will bring you into judgment.


Remember your Creator
in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
and the years approach when you will say,
“I find no pleasure in them”—

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

圣经上的手指

下面是我大学二年级写的文章,大致是我第一次感觉我可以用中文来表达自己的内心感受。当时我感觉我只能用中文讨论我的宗教和家庭背景,这样我可以更客观地探索自己的心情,慢慢地写下自己的想法。我要是写一句英文,立刻就有条件反射,心里感觉不舒服,然后不愿意继续写 。当然,有中文功课的deadline也是一个明确的动力! 我刚看了原本的文章,也发现了很多没意识到的毛病。我已经很努力把文章改得稍微通顺一点,可是相信下面的还是有很多毛病,只好请您多宽容一点。逗号句号都是乱写的·····我真不会写文章 🙂 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 我看过很多书,其中对我最影响最大是基督教的圣经。说实话,我想不起其他让我改变那么多的书,它给我留下很深刻的印象。我小的时候,每个礼拜日,为了听布道、看朋友、唱歌,我家人都会去做礼拜。 星期日早上正是我们准备去教堂的时间。我得把衬衫下摆塞进牛仔裤,然后系皮带。进入了教堂的门口以后,我就会无意识看到谁重视而谁不重视做礼拜:有的人只穿日常穿的衣服,或者只是比平常好一点的衣服。 我妈妈说我们要穿好衣服是因为星期日很特别。虽然去教堂、看圣经、祈祷都很重要,可是最重要的总是信耶稣,让他把你从罪中拯救出来。 我们听布道的每一次,来到教堂的人都会循着念圣经的牧师悄悄地看书。我妈妈帮助我,动着食指指示我们在念的那一行。  我后悔的事不是很多,我也对不少人感到感恩。但是想到我小的时候,不会感到很开心,我也不知道为什么。我上小学的时候,我和我兄弟姐妹不会每天出门到学校,而是会留在家里上学。我父母这么做是想保护我们,防止我们接触外面世界的坏。当时我妈妈是我们的老师,我爸爸是一个软件工程师。我爸爸一直劝我学好数学、科学。既然受到了家庭教育,我就可以按自己的速度学习课程而进步更快一些。 我妈妈人很好,很喜欢帮我们忙。她自己少年可能有点孤独。她提过几次自己的少年,说她想多生几个孩子是因为自己的独生女经历,小时觉得有个伙伴该多好。我也记得好几次,我爸爸觉得妈妈把某件事情弄错了会骂:“正常人没有这样的问题!”或者”我们房子怎么又弄脏了!“。那时我还小,中学都没上。 一听他这么说,我就感到难过,心里觉得爸爸对妈妈很不公平。即使妈妈做事没有符合爸爸的要求,那种话特别不友好,肯定不是圣经教的。 在过去几年来,虽然我没有听爸爸说类似的话,但是这些记忆还是留在我的脑海里。我

My Life is a Mess -- How about yours?

Just getting home from work, I swing open the door and step into my own corner of the 5-bedroom house I'm co-renting. Click. A flood of artificial light. In front of me is my bed. The fitted sheet is coming off the corners. It never seems to stay on. Underneath, a pink stain marks an old misadventure with drinking Gatorade in bed. Miscellaneous textiles -- a jacket, a button-down shirt, and a towel -- are heaped towards one end.  The rest of my clothes are piled on the floor. I sigh, put on my headphones, pull out my laptop, lie down, and take a look at my work. Welcome to my life for the past two years. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  (这里不小心写出自己的真名,下面的句子应该是 ”X 又在说中文“)